Thursday, October 1, 2015

Name of the Game: Epic Fail #1

Once upon a time, I wrote steampunk.

And it blew up in my face.

Literally.

I mean, I got this idea a couple of years ago that I wanted to put on paper and get up on the stage or screen or something. And it was a fantastic bubblegum of an idea. So naturally, I wrote down the outline and the characters; and then, just for variety, I wrote out the entire treatment, just make sure I got everything I wanted.

And came to screeching halt.

While it may have had a little to do with my inevitable "college breakdown"(because we always get those at least once--don't lie, it happens to everyone), it also had a lot to do with what happens to us--not just as writers, but as humans.



We fail. Epicly. Sometimes it's a decision we made that seemed right at the time; other times it's something we said, or someone we talked to, or whatever. It happens. And when it happens, we have two choices:

1. Beat our head against the wall and then curl up and wish we were dead

OR

2. Get up. Move on. Try again. Never look back.

I have done both. And you know, when I've moped about how my life isn't at all what I've thought it should be, I find myself--sometimes literally--running around in circles with no idea which way is up.

But, when I've taken option 2, I still have those things I've failed at, but those are in the past--and they belong there. Embrace them, and move on.

As an aside, I still have that twenty-something page treatment sitting on both my drive and in a notebook somewhere. Someday, something will work out and I can get the thing actually written. Until then, I'm not going to worry. It will work out. It always does.

For those of you interested, here are the links to the posts about it way back when. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment