Friday, October 23, 2015

Name of the Game: Mini-Confessions

There are so many quirky/weird parts of my personality. It's ridiculous. There are likes and dislikes that I've expounded on in posts past and then there are some that are little. So today's "game" is mini-confessions--the quirky facets of my personality that don't get their own long posts:

1. I Still Listen to Boy Bands
Backstreet Boys, Youngstown, 98 Degrees, and yes, One Direction. There are some times when I just need fluffy music--I even have a playlist with that title on my iPhone. Maybe it's because I didn't "meet" the Backstreet Boys until senior year of high school(thank you 80s rock upbringing) or maybe it's because I happen to be a romantic female or something, but either way, I have several Boy Bands on my iPhone, and they aren't going away any time soon.

2. I hate horror movies
Appropriate "mini" for Halloween month, yes? This is kind of weird, because, yes, I watch Supernatural; and I watch the 100; and Daredevil, and a couple of(sometimes really baaaaad) adaptions of  Wolfman and  Dracula and Frankenstein, including all the UK Hammer Production ones(question: WHY?!). BUT I can't watch the modern creepy horror stuff. And there is at last one episode of SPN that I skip per season--or there used to be.  The creepiest movie I own is Shyamalan's The Village, which actually isn't all that creepy anyway(confession within confession: I actually bought it because---Adrian Brody, Joaquin Phoenix, Jesse Eisenburg, Bryce Dallas Howard, Judy Greer, Cherry Jones and Sigorney Weaver in one movie? In period costumes? Ummmm, yes please!). I sat through the original Haunting once and pulled my very first All Nighter because of it. And it wasn't a Study All Nighter either. Stupid imagination :p

3.Mysteries aren't so "mysterious" to me anymore
I read too much. It's a problem. and sometimes I read too much of one genre. Ok, yes, the crime doesn't necessarily happen within the first couple of minutes/chapters/whatever. But even then, I usually know "whodunnit". The same goes for mystery shows. My family watches Poirot/Marple Sunday nights(thank you Netflix) and I just got into Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries, and the biggest problem is I know who the culprit is like--ten minutes after the crime is committed(Poirot/Marple) or at least before the detective does(Miss Fischer). And this isn't really as much of a problem as you would think, because I usually spend the rest of the book/film/episode trying to figure out the "why", which is sometimes much more interesting than the "who". Side note: so far as the Christie stuff goes, I've taken to timing how bloody long it takes for Poirot to actually say whodunnit--and it's usually between ten and twenty minutes. I kid you not.

4. I have never been on a roller coaster
My family went to Disneyland the summer I was eighteen, and we went of just about every ride(thanks to my dad's awesome Disneyland Schedule--yes, he took a map and Excel and figured out how to get us on every "important" ride--in five days). When we spent the day at California Adventure, the one ride I didn't go on was Screamin California(and there was a good reason, I promise!). I've never been to Lagoon; I've never been to Six Flags; even when I went to the Mall of America I didn't get on any of their roller coasters. But it's on my Bucket List.

5. I trip over my own feet at least once a day
It's a serious problem. Whether I'm in heels, or flats, tennis shoes or sandals, chances are I'm going to end up flat on my back(or front, or side, or whatever). I don't quite know how it happens--summer, fall, spring, and especially in the winter. Stupid ice is no help to my stupid feet. Which probably also explains why I can't roller skate/blade, ice skate, or dance anything other than Blues. Speaking of which---

6. Blues is my favorite form of dance
I got introduced to this style about a year and a half ago, and ohmygoodness it's so much fun. There's a place downtown that does it every Friday night, and I try to go whenever possible.  I never really considered myself a dancer(see #5 above), but this style is something that I don't exactly need to "learn" as much as I thought I did. Check this out:

No comments:

Post a Comment