Thursday, August 1, 2019

Lure of the Fox: Theme Soundtrack

Last post was soundtrack-centered and currently I'm deep in the research cave for "Fox"--plus rehearsals--so we'll go with easy this time and do more music. Sound good?

So "Wolves" was dark, gritty, and political.

"Lure of the Fox" is darker, grittier, and more political.

And I guess--in a way--it's Jean-Luc's fault.

I've always seen Jean-Luc as a harder, harsher, darker character, even before I finished writing "Wolves"(I mean, he's got a serious case of PTSD); and Declan is Mr Dark Horse; and the baddies are all really bad(this is DeClaire and Malbete before they had no control--if they ever had any--and before they got tangled up with Gisbourne--who is calculating, sly and too proud for his own good--which makes both of them...T-E-R-R-I-F-Y-I-N-G). So, because the central character this time around is a harder-hitting type of person, it makes sense to me that the soundtrack for this project is going to be harder-hitting(as you've probably seen by now).

This includes the themes.

Whenever I write, the one thing I never do is sit down and plan out what the heck the theme of the story I want to tell actually is. Characters are what pop into my head first--characters and images.

Because I don't ever start a writing project by thinking "I'm going to write about Subject ABC", theme of the story evolves for me. When it eventually become clear, I'm the last person to realize that. The first time I ever heard one of my plays read aloud and I got great feedback on the themes I had no clue what that even meant.

Not so with this project.

Most likely it's cause "Lure of the Fox" is a prequel, so I have a pretty good idea who these people are and where they end up, so it's easier to figure out where they've come from.

Below are the two songs that embody the theme of "Fox".

RISE(feat. The Word Alive), by The Glitch Mob

When Legends Rise, by Godsmack
  















You know what my favorite thing about these songs is? They both have the word "rise" in them.


Which is what all of these characters have to learn to do, anyway. They all lose(physically, mentally, emotionally), and they all have to rise to the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment