Thursday, August 20, 2020

Nottingham's Legacy: Endings

Question for all of you awesome people.

If I show you these characters:

1. Do you know who they all are?  

And

2. Do you know what they all have in common?

Yes?

Great! You might get an inkling of what I'm talking about.

No? 

Google these shows(or at least one of them--One Tree Hill, Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead, The Office, The 100, Legends of Tomorrow/The Flash, Fast and Furious) and characters because you need to have an inkling of what I'm talking about!

Have you done it?

I'll give you a minute.....

Confession time!

One of my favorite franchises ever, ever, ever is The Fast and the Furious. 

(have I seen the original 1954 film on which the franchise is based? Yes. Yes, I have. And it's brilliant!) 

I am the unabashed proud owner of films 1-7(8 is on my To Buy list, along with 9 and 10 as soon as they happen🤞🤞)

When production on "Furious 7" was halted due to the death of Paul Walker, I cried for two days. 

When I went to see "Furious 7" in theatres I spent the last fifteen-ish minutes of the film like this

("Furious 7" still makes me cry no matter how many times I've seen it, much to the amusement of several family members, but that's neither here, nor there)

And this film isn't the only film that makes me cry--last count there were almost 200 of them (I know cause I have a physical list that I started as a joke and keep adding to just because)

Why?

Because in one way or another, they all include the words


And

hate 

endings. 

I hate them so much. 

Not just "End of Play" or "Roll Credits" or "Last Page of the Book" endings. 

I hate Character Endings. 

Character Deaths. 

Character Exits. 

(and yes, those are three different things, with the same result)

I can't stand any of those. 

And there are a lot of them in "Nottingham's Legacy".

Lot!

So writing them all is a bit like a Thanos Snap/Infinity War/Endgame dilemma: 

Which exits are drawn out?

Which are quick and don't "matter" as much(that's hard!)?

And do they all need to "exit" or not (Answer: "they do--kind of")?

And then, there's this tiny little thought bouncing around in my head each time I write an "exit"

But I'm fine.

It's fine.

That is what revision is for so I'm totally cool with it.

Totally.

Cool.

With.

It!

No comments:

Post a Comment