Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Thespian Musings: Recap 2020

New Year's Resolution.

I hate that term.

Ok, fine, "hate" is a strong word, I know. "Dislike with a fiery passion" is a better one. 

And I "dislike with a fiery passion" the term New Years Resolution because I never fulfill them. Even as a kid I made goals and they always fizzled out for one reason or another. 

Back in January I wrote about what I wanted to accomplish as a playwright this year. As this is the second to last day of 2020 I'm going to beg your indulgence because this year I ACTUALLY DID IT!!!!

Yes, I know that makes me sound a little bit like an egomaniac, but I feel like celebrating. 


Because, believe it or not, we all need a little something to celebrate:

Due to the pandemic, theatres have been closed, rehearsals discouraged, all that awesome stuff (if you didn't notice you've been living under a rock) artists like myself had to figure out how to still make art.

It was hard, but not impossible. 

This year has been spent not on stage, but still seeing/reading/writing plays. 

Last year, 2019, I wrote one play.

It was a great play, and I was really proud of it, but it was only one. 

This year, I wrote six plays. 

SIX.

Ok, fine, three of them were ten minuters, but still. 

I mean, if I can't perform in them, I might as well spend my time writing, and revising and using my artistic time to the fullest, right?



Three

Full 

Length

Plays

In 

One 

Year


Yes. Yes, I'm really excited about this and nothing is going to change that. 

Also, I joined an amazing play reading group. They get together every week and read plays over Zoom. Granted, due to the holidays and day job I haven't been able to participate as much as a wanted to, but it's amazing to see a group of artists come together to read new work. 

Which would also be impossible without Zoom. 

I have been able to connect with other artists in other places in the country that I never would have met otherwise. 

I have learned so much about myself as an artist and a woman.

Having the opportunity to figure out ways to be productive in a day is something I needed, and something I think I wouldn't have been able to figure out otherwise. 

I mean, I would have eventually, but not as quickly as I did this year.

I've learned what it's like to be a friend. 

A real friend, I mean, not the type of tiered-aquaintence-you-say-hi-to-because-you're-a-nice-person-and-will-probably-forget-about-as-soon-as-he/she/they-is/are-no-longer-in-your-line-of-vision. But somebody who really truly cares about the people around them and will always be there no matter what. 

Yeah, I know, it sounds corny, but it's true. 

2020 has been hard. We've heard that all year. 

But you know what? There have been really good things too, and I for one am going to celebrate them and I encourage y'all to do the same. 

That is all.



No comments:

Post a Comment