Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Name of the Game: OR Qikiqtarjuaq

My favorite word.

The first time I heard it was about three months ago, and it had me sniggering. It's such a satisfying word to say, to spell, to--anything.

Qikitarjuaq.

Yes.

 It is a real word.

Yes.

It is a real place.

In Canada. I looked it up. Voila:

Thank you Google!!!!

I say this to people and they give me the weirdest looks. Or quotes. Like "I don't think that's legal here." (Thank you Brian!!!!) I completely get that no one believes it's a real word. But it is. It absolutely is!

This word comes from Cabin Pressure, which I talked about last week. Each episode of this series has a title that begins with a letter of the alphabet(A-Z), and in the episode Qikitarjuaq the crew goes  to this place.

 To go after polar bears.

With an egg whisk and a pogo stick.

I'm not kidding.

"Attention mes amis regardez vous le bear polar!"


One of the funniest sitcom episodes I've ever heard, and probably one of the reasons I love this word so much. Also, it makes a fantabulous tongue twister. Try saying it five times fast. I dare you.



No comments:

Post a Comment