Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Name of the Game:OR How Benedict Cumberbatch Saved My Sanity

Sitting in a car for nine hours is absolutely miserable.

Granted I wasn't the one driving, but I was still in that car for nine hours. That was the worst part of my Arizona Road Trip. Because I had to do it twice.

The upshot was that I got to spend nine hours listening to the coolest voice I know of at the moment. Benedict Cumberbatch. Back in 2008, he did a BBC Radio show called Cabin Pressure, about an airline(or an "air dot", depending on who you talked to) that is barely holding it together and travels around the world while trying to keep it's sanity. and I've been an avid fan of it since October. Thank you Audible.

Cast of Cabin Pressure from left to right: John Finnemore as Arthur, Roger Allum as Douglas, Stephanie Cole as Caroline and Benedict Cumberbatch as Martin

As I said, the best part of this delightful series are the two main characters, played by Benedict Cumberbatch and Roger Allum. These two play the "sweaty man" pilot and the person everyone love who sits in a corner and makes sarcastic comments(ha ha). These two spend most of their time in an airplane with not much else to do, so they play games. 

Really clever games. Hats off to this brilliant writer, because I'd never have thought of these games. In fact, some I've shamelessly stolen. Like a live game of Simon Says(in the show, they do it for "six trips") or my personal favorite: The Evil Name Game. 

This is something I may or may not have been playing even before my road trip. Basically you have to find names(of celebrities, usually) that aren't evil but sound so. Cabin Pressure  stole some of them from me(or rather, I stole some from them) like "Russell Crowe", "Davina MccCord", "Calista Flockhart", "Patek Phillipe(the watch maker)"and "Agatha Christie".  Usually, it's played under some kind of time restraint (ie, how many can you get in half an hour) or it will go on for ages. Ad nauseum. 

But I will say that it's a great way to keep your mind occupied. Espcially at 3 am in a 9 hour car trip. 

Your turn. Names of People that Sound Evil but Actually Aren't. Any ideas?
Not gonna lie I would have killed to see this live!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment