Thursday, January 7, 2016

Name of the Game From the "Writing Closet": What The People I Write Do To Me. For Fun.

Post title sounds racy, huh?

I swear, it isn't what you think ^_^

My characters so enjoy allowing me to transcribe their quirky and sometimes uncomfortable situations.

Don't ask me why, I get this weird little thrill out of it, is all. They tell the story, and I write it down; and I know I'm not the only one. Take this, for example(thanks again to Lauren Willig):


I KNOW RIGHT?!

And don't tell me a guy doesn't have instances like that; and if you say they haven't y'all are lying.

It's not just the romantic bits either(although it is pretty fun to write men who are stumbling over their words in certain situations). Sometimes it's the things they say. Like these--from Supernatural:


The best part is when those characters come off the page and up into the stage--or the screen, or in the reader's heads--in all their entertaining glory.  I have a friend who's world premiere  is coming up in about two weeks(and if you're in the Arizona area, you can get tickets to said world premiere by following this shameless Brelby plug here). I haven't read his script, nor is it very likely I will be able to see it--stupid airfare and hotel prices and life being what it is--but knowing him, and knowing the creative team and actors involved, the show will be killer(yes, that pun was also intended, and if you follow the link, you'll know why)! 

And, because we're all friends on Facebook, I do get to see little bits of the process. Like the mini-video of one character dumping water on the sleeping head of another character. Which, by the way, I have watched eight times; and it still makes me laugh(thank you Instagram). 

Yes, yes, I know that something like this gets done off the stage as well as on, but there is nothing more fun for a writer to do: to sit back and transcribe this story with all it's little quirks, and odd situations, and dramatics and the occasional scene where the males...punch each other for recreational purposes(thanks Lauren Willig for that one; and no, I have no idea why I get such a kick out of that--pun intended!). 

Writer's get to hear and see the whole story before everyone else. We get insight into the lives of people with stories to tell--and we are the first audience they get to entertain. There are times when I am nowhere near any writing utensil of any kind--laptop included--and I get this little scene in my head that A) puts a big stupid grin on my face; B) has my emotions all in a tangle and/ or C) experiencing and adrenaline rush that has nothing to do with the events of my day. 

Guys, I'm not just weird.

I'm a writer. 

Writers get to know the most interesting people, both inside and outside of our heads.

Is it any wonder we have the coolest dang jobs/hobbies in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment