Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Name of the Game: New Pet Project!!!!

Whelp.

It's February.

Which means I have abandoned this poor little blog for three months.

Not without good reason, though. I've been out of town and out of the country and--ok, living in the Writing Cave. And the result is something I can and will be talking about for--a longish time, cause this makes me so SO EXCITED?!?!?!  Ready? Indulge me:


I’ve always loved the story of Robin Hood. As of right now, I’ve read every single novel adaption(that I can get my hands on, anyway); seen every single film adaption(yes, even the Alan Rickman version--because, really, who can resist watching Alan friggin Rickman!!!!), and all three seasons of the BBC shows(1980s and 2000s); and the story never gets old.

Image result for robin hood
It does, however, get formulaic. Maybe it has something to do with the deluge of films that Hollywood is currently releasing, or maybe it’s re-reading some of my favorite Robin Hood tales, but I’m seeing a disturbing trend in every Robin Hood tale so far: the majority of them are “Origin Stories”.
Don’t get me wrong, I love me a good Origin Story, but there is a point where even the most beloved of these classic characters get pounded into the ground with “origin”.
On a whim, I Googled every single Robin Hood adaption I could think of just to see if this trend was actually true. Want to know how many Robin Hood stories out there are not Origin Stories(that I could find, anyway)?
Three.
I KNOW!?!?!?!
So, instead of an origin story, I wrote a sequel! And I love it!
And because I can't keep it to myself, I'm going to be sharing tidbits with y'all. Since I hate keeping things I'm excited about to myself!!!! You can find all my tidbits here.

No comments:

Post a Comment