Monday, August 10, 2015

Quirky Monday: My Fountain Pen

Last week, I happened to mention in passing that when I write sans screen, I do so with a fountain pen.

You guys.

I FRIGGIN LOVE FOUNTAIN PENS

I do. I really, really do. Maybe if I hadn't been into the whole "I wanna grow up in the 1700s/1800s/1900s" as I kid this would be such a "problem".  But, I was the child blessed with:

A. A grandfather who raised me on classic movies like "Frenchman's Creek", "Naughty Marietta", "The King and I" and other movies featuring quill pens.

B. Access to the film version of "Little Women". Jo March wrote with a nib pen. And always had ink on her hands!!!



C. Jane Austen. The books, the films, the quill and nib pens(and the men and the clothes). And,

D. Enough money to buy what I needed when I needed it(i.e. fountain pens--thank you Pilot!)

As a kid, I was into the American Girl Franchise and my favorite was Felicity. Because she wrote with a quill pen. I used to grab bird feathers off the street at attempt to make little "quills" of my own.

Of course, these "quill pens" were more often than not ball point pens scotch taped to feathers, but to a five year old, this was pretty dang good. When I did finally get my hands on a "legit" quill pen(from the American Girl Felicity craft kit), I used it so much, I broke the nib off. Yes, I literally broke the nib off.

When I was fourteen, my great uncle got me a glass fountain pen set for Christmas. Needless to say, I used up all the ink in one bottle in less than a month and got ink all over my hands and felt like Louisa May Alcott.



When I started college, one of the first things I did was checkout the bookstore--for obvious reasons. As I was browsing, I made an amazing discovery:

Pilot makes disposable fountain pens. These disposable fountain pens:



And they were right in front of me. For--well, I could afford them, and I that was good enough for me.

I bought a bunch. And used them up in less than a week.

Those have become my writing pens. Ballpoint pens are for school work and work-work and other boring stuff. But to create, I need a creative pen.

I need a fountain pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment