Monday, August 3, 2015

Quirky Monday: B&B-My Favorite Fairy Tale

So remember last week I said something about my favorite fairy tale? This one:



I don't really have any one reason why Beauty and the Beast is my favorite. Maybe it's because it was the first movie I saw in a theatre(thank you BYU dollar nights!); or maybe it has something to do with my obsession over celebrity Dark Horses; or maybe it's just because it's a fairy tale and I'm a sucker for fairy tales--I don't know. But this story has always appealed to me.

Like, the idea of someone transformed into a Beast(Dark Horse) and shut up in a castle with either:
a) talking furniture
b) invisible servants
c) visible servants
d)magic
or a combination of the above, and then bring in a girl who is so open minded and kind that even before she realizes her feelings she is nice to him.



I have seen/read just about every version of this tale that I can get my hands on. I've read the original fairy tale; and Grimm fairy tale; and the two by Robin McKinley(Rose Daughter is actually my favorite of the two); and the updated version by Alex Flinn(Beastly  the novel was so good--and the movie ruined it, which by the way, is one of the few times I have regretted spending money on a movie). Actually I've read Beastly so many times the cover might fall off--the pages are certainly well used.


I also own the Disney DVD, and have seen the  1984 Susan Saradon version; and I gave the TV series a shot(disappointing, both of them--ick); so yes, basically every version I can get my hands on(including the French film, which is brilliant!!!!!). I have also seen the charming Rebecca de Mornay musical(which truly is charming)--see clip below or follow this link:


I did I quick IMDB check before I wrote this, and there are 200 listed titles. Which means that there are going to be some good ones and some crappy ones--and I've seen both the some of the good and some of the crappy. True,there are also some versions I have yet to see, but this is chiefly because they are out of print(grrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Like this one. This one I REALLY want to see and can't find ANYWHERE

But yes, I love this fairy tale. I love this fairy tale so much I'm pulling a Shannon Hale and making my favorite fairy tale into something to call my own. Which a really freakin cool. And I will finish it this time!!!!

Also, PS: when the Emma Watson/Dan Stevens version is FINALLY released,  I WILL GO SEE IT OPENING NIGHT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment