Monday, August 17, 2015

Quirky Monday: Road Trip Rules

Today I am blogging from my car(hence any typos contained herein with no apologies whatsoever). I am currently surrounded by my family members and we are all currently dying in one form or another.

This is because we are on a nine hour drive to get to our vacation spot.

You heard right.

A nine hour drive.

Not that I haven't made this drive before(when I went to see my world premiere in AZ), but there is a difference between driving down to AZ with a single person and driving down to AZ with seven people--who are also your family members.

A good different.

Because now--since we're all at that point in our lives where we rarely get to spend more than a couple of hours together--once a year we get to spend a whole week together. Just us. And it's awesome!

But first we have to get there.

And in this case, it means we drive.

For NINE BLOODY HOURS!!!!!

And ok, it's not as bad as it sounds, really. Not since we aren't the kind of family that plugs ourselves in...ok, we do, but not the whole trip.

Before we all got electronic devices, we would play games, like The Alphabet Game. Using only roadsigns and liscense plates, we would see how quickly we could get through the alphabet(which is how my parents kept a 45 minute drive entertaining when they had a five-year-old or two who hated the free way cause they couldn't see out--among other things.)

There's also classics like SlugBug or Yellow Car(which is my personal favorite cause you can play that one for hours and don't really have to explain the rules.)

And then we all got electronic devices. Which was good and bad. It's bad cause there's always a point in the trip where we all get sick of each other(because nine hours in a confined space will drive anybody coo-coo) and plug ourselves in. But it's also good becuase:

1. I become my brother's favorite person cause I have a portable dvd player and bring all the movies.
2. At least three people in my family have(or have access to) an Audible account, so we can all listen to Audiobooks as a family
3. When we get tired of audiobooks there are at least four devices that have music and are fully charged which we can bicker over for music choice(or we just let everybody else listen to something and plug ourselves in, which ever works best and causes less fight.)

The point is, whenever my family goes on a trip together, it's awesome. And sometimes, getting there is awesome too.

Now if we could just get out of the car for like five minutes, that'd be great.....

No comments:

Post a Comment