Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tidbit Tuesday: Bibliophile, Meet Research

Being still in the throes of revision of one piece and developing two more(yes, two, but more on two later), I have decided to pull a Lauren Willig again and "get into the characters' heads, experience the world as they experience it, speak as they speak".

One of the things I love about being a writer is that I get to read before, during, and after I write. Even better, I get to read books that are along the same genre, when I'm in the mood for reading fiction and not research stuff. So below, for your reading pleasure is what I have been reading for both research and pleasure purposes--as of now.
Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst This is another book where Watership Down meets wolves. Or Julie of the Wolves meets Watership Down. Anyway, this is an amazing example of what an author can do with a lifetime's worth of research. And it's something that is now on my Audible wishlist.

Beastly by Alex Flinn- Seriously, I have read this book so many dang times. I almost went full on fan girl and bought the audiobook and the movie--if the narrator hadn't been terrible in one and the other was---a complete waste of my money(especially since I went opening night; but I digress). I love the idea of a Beauty and the Beast Story told from the Beast's POV. And it's even better when that story takes place in 21st century New York, and kinda follows the Disney version of the story line(because, personally, I have issues with--well a lot of stuff in the original fairy tale. But I won't go into that now).

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley-I confess, I read this version first, not Beauty. The main stupid reason is that the first time I read it, I wasn't into the whole first person narrative thing. I bugged me. This one was written in third person, so I gave it a shot. That was the first time. I have now read this thing four or five times, because it's such a sweet story.

Beauty by Robin McKinley-It took me a while--ok, it took two of my librarian friends and several other writer friends--to get me to read this book. First, because I was at the reading phase where I was sick of Robin McKinley(I'd read all her things except this one and was looking for something new). And second, because it was in first person(and I have no idea why I annoyed me, but it did). And I have now read it more than once. It's kind of nice to see Beauty with a little bit of a backbone.

The Sight by Dave Clement-Davies I read this on a dare from a writer friend of mine. And I made the mistake of checking it out during finals week my sophomore year of high school. It took me a very long time to get to the end. But, this book is--incredible! It's an amazing fairytale centered on wolves. And they aren't just animals that talk. They have their own language; their own hierarchy, their own--you name it, they got it. Now I'm waiting on the sequel to be available in audiobook form, and for my wallet to allow me to purchase it, as I think this is the kind of book that should be heard--because of it's length.

Fire Bringer by Dave Clement-Davies- So after this guy wrote about wolves, he wrote about deer. And this book was almost as good as The Sight--and is so helpful to someone working on a fantasy that won't work the way it's supposed to. The best way to describe this is Bambi meets Watership Down(which is another book that I've been reading to get me in the mood).

Bambi by Felix Salten-You guys. Bambi isn't just a Disney movie. Bambi is a book. A novel. A really good 1929 novel. Why have I never of this until now? And it isn't Disney-fied either(which isn't a bad thing--I happened to LOVE Disney's Bambi). No, it's a story for teens and adults. And one I want on my shelf. Like now.



Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen Thanks to Lauren Willig, I have also started re-reading historical fiction. This was a passion of mine in high school,a s I love period pieces. This little story is set in the 1920s and focuses on the lives of three girls headed in three different directions. The 1920s is a time period I've never really explored before, and so this is a great introduction!

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh-Talk about a period piece actually written during the time period! I'm only a few pages in, but I love the British satire spin on what was going on in the 1920s.

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen-Just finished this one--something I decided to try because my sister did and she liked it. So I gave it a shot. This one is along the lines of--oh, Miss Marple thirty years younger or something and she's a spy for the Queen. In the late 1920s-early 30s. I love this book so much!

P.G. Wodehouse-Whenever you need a pick-me-up, you go to Jeeves and Wooster. When you need "fluffy reads for research" you go to Jeeves and Wooster. 'Nuff said.

So can you guess what project number two is, based on the above list? Don't worry, I'll tell you more about it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment