Thursday, June 11, 2015

Name of the Game: Dark Horses

I don't know what it is, but a face like this just gets me.

Gets me right in the feels.

And ok, this is just one example(it's Ian Somerhaulder, by the way), but it's a great visual for one of this hopeless little romantic's big stupid weaknesses.

Dark Horses.

The Character Archtype, not an actual horse with a dark colored coat.

Maybe it's the fact that all the men in my family are brunettes.

Maybe it's the fact that half of the men in my family can be sarcastic jerks(that I love anyway).

Maybe it's the weird sort of sex appeal that these characters in books and films seem to project without a great deal of effort.

Maybe it's the fact that I am a hopeless romantic who turns into a great big pot of goo any time I see an attractive face(animated or otherwise).

Yeah, I know, he's not a brunette, but he's still the snarky little anti-hero that I love so much!!!
Or maybe it's a combination of all the things. But if you want me to read a book, or see a film, or play, and you want me to love it, be sure there is a Dark Horse in it.

Right. So I know there are some of who who don't exactly know what a "Dark Horse" is. They are the rogues, the anti-heroes, the characters you may or may not be able to trust. They are the characters who's motives are shady or unclear; who, once you end up trusting, are oh so glad you did. Still unsure? Let me enlighten you with a couple of (biased) visual examples. From films/TV Shows:

Supernatural-Dean Winchester
Australia-Rover
TMNT-Raph
Avengers- Well...All of them?
X-Men-Wolverine
The Vampire Diaries- Damon Salvator(see pic above)
Tangled-Flynn
A Midsummer Night's Dream-Demetrius
The Three Musketeers-Athos
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Angel(sorta)/ Spike(DEFO)
The Last Airbender-Zuko
Firefly Mal/ Jayne
Princess Mononoke-San/Ashitaka
The Breakfast Club-John Bender
Graceland-Briggs
Gossip Girl-CHUCK BASS
The 100-Bellamy
Star Wars-Han Solo
Once Upon a Time-Hook
Daredevil-Matt Murdock
BBC's Robin Hood-Guy/Alan
Much Ado About Nothing-Benedick
Any James Cagney Film Between 1930-1950

Yeah. There's the list. And a piece of insight into my taste in media. You're welcome.



But the thing that all these in this list have in common is that "Dark Horse" trait--or two. They have the tendency to be moody, sarcastic, occasionally violent, snarky, men-with-a-past-they-need-to-atone-for-and-always-have-questionable-motives-at-one-time-or-another type characters that for some reason I find incredibly sexy.

Because I'm a romantic.

Now, I couldn't live with one--I don't think; I've never tried--but my goodness they are so fun to see, read about, and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment