Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tidbit Tuesday: 120 Page Answer

My Muse asks me a question, and I answer it.

Only my answer is 120 pages long.

It happens with characters, plots, or just something I happen to be curious about. This whole little quirk of mine started because I decided to bite the proverbial bullet and do some of those "writing exercises" that English professors and the like tell you to do.

You know what's funny? It totally works!


Only problem is that sometimes the answer to one teeny tiny little question can be between 60 and 120 pages long. Yeah, there are times when the answer is short-ish--say 10-20 pages?--but then there are also times...well, check this out:

"Two guys get locked in a heating duct. Then what?" That was Duct Up. 15 pages.

"What makes film noir so  good?" Angels Alley. 133 pages

"The worst thing that can happen during Kick the Can?" Wired. 10 pages

"You're stuck in one spot for eternity. Now what?" Polterguys 105 so far(not polished as yet)

"Ok. So who is this guy?" That's at least three of the Angel's Alley sequels; all ranging between 90-134 pages

"That's it?!? Then what?" That's the other two. 60-98 pages

"Tagging animals happens. What about....?" This project has no official title yet. And no page count.

And on, and on, and on; et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

This is how my writing happens; and this is why I have fifteen thousand different projects going on in my head. Which is cool, I guess. It means that I never ever really have initial Writer's Slough--because there is not such thing as "Writer's Block", period--just Revision Blockage.

Which everyone gets to deal with anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment