Monday, June 29, 2015

Quirky Monday: Glitter and Flow

I didn't wear makeup until I was sixteen.

That's the official story. Any time I was in a show, I wore make-up. Stage make-up. So all I was really concerned about up to this point(being sixteen) was could you see my face from the last row? You could? Awesome, I'd done what I needed to to.

What I didn't realize is how good someone can look in "street makeup"(and I mean make-up that isn't used for the stage, not the other kind).

One of the many MANY make-up brands I use


I first got my ears pierced when I was eighteen years old.

I had been begging my mom for years to let me get my ears pierced because all the cool earrings I wanted required pierced ears. That, and everybody else had done it, so why not me?

What my brain hadn't processed was that after getting my ears pierced I had to wear the stupid studs for six to eight weeks. Agony!

Six weeks, guys.  I couldn't wear these for six weeks. 

I didn't buy my own clothes until my senior year high school.

Part of this, I will freely admit, was laziness. I'd look in the mirror and if there were clothes on my body, that was good enough. If we had old clothes lying around, or my mom had picked stuff from from a yard sale, or DI, and they fit, then hallelujah I had things to wear and the rest didn't matter.

What I didn't see in the mirror is what I could look like if I put in a little effort. And bought my own clothes.

Why do I bring all of this up?

Because until I realized these things, I wasn't able to appreciate what my own style. Style I didn't even know I had.

I have to glitter.

Literally.

I am an avid Gossip Girl fan; and I watch all the BBC dramas for two reasons. The men(because--GAH!!!!) and the glitter. The jewelry these girls wear! And the clothes! If something ain't glittering, it's flowing.

Every single bit of my wardrobe has something that does one or both of those things--makeup included. I'm a huge fan of the big hoop earrings, and the glittery bob earrings, and the zircon(that's the big glittery stuff that looks like diamonds but isn't.)

And yeah, I have calmed down a little bit since I hit "adulthood", and my flowy clothes are--more subtle(is that a possible description? whatever, I don't care). But my jewlery still glitters, and sometimes so does my makeup. 

If I had all the money in the world, it would go to glitter and flow. And chocolate. But that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment