Monday, July 27, 2015

Quirky Monday: The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Dream roles?

Artists get asked this question more than once, for multiple reasons. We all have them--that role we want to play more than anything and will do whatever it takes to get it(including crazy gym workouts, like some people I could mention--but won't).

I have more fun designing, writing and directing than acting, but I do have a shortlist, like every other artist I know. It's changed, yeah, but there's always been one that's remained at the top of the list since I was---I don't know--six?

Peter Pan.



Guys, the Disney movie was one of the first VHSs my family got--and it was all I wanted to watch. I was convinced that Neverland was a real place, and that some day I would learn to fly and go spend the rest of my life there. I was certain that if I could figure out how to throw myself horizontally forward hard enough, and at just the right moment, I could fly; and once I learn how to do that, getting to Neverland would be a piece of cake!

I remember the first time I heard the soundtrack to the original Broadway musical. Did I get it? Not really, it was a soundtrack so some of the songs didn't make much sense in my seven-year-old brain. But I did enjoy walking around the the house singing "I Won't Grow Up" at the top of my lungs.

The Provo Library had a VHS of the film they made starring Mary Martin in the 70s, and I watched that so many times I'm sure I drove my mom out of her mind. It wasn't until I saw two separate productions at two different high schools, that it finally clicked: this was a musical, not just a movie. This was a play someone wrote! I'll never forget the feeling I had, watching it live and clapping with all my might to get Tink back to life.

In 2000, A&E released a recording of a revival done in California starring Cathy Rigby. You guys, the times I watched that movie--oh my goodness!!!



Being old enough now to get all the mechanics of the film, and that it was a play, and that it was getting produced again, I realized why I had been so obsessed with it in the first place. Ok, the two reasons.

1. I want to play Peter Pan before I die.
I do. More than you can possibly imagine. If we're talking logistics here, I would love to portray that role because it's one of the few parts in my vocal range, so I wouldn't have to worry about straining or falsetto or any of that. Also, Peter gets to fly. Like a lot. Who wouldn't want that?

2. Everybody in one way or another,  wants to be Peter Pan. Period.
I mean, never grow up? Fly? Live in a world with no cares, no worries, just have fun? Fly? Fight pirates and Indians on a daily basis? Fly? Have a fairy for a--sort of best friend? And did I mention fly? Who wouldn't want to fly?

And yes, I did see the ABC Live Presentation. I know, I know, but it was "Peter Pan" so I gave it a shot. One of the stupider decisions I've made in my life. And I saw the awful film starring Jason Isaacs(question: did they have to up the romance when it kinds didn't even really exist one Peter's side. I mean, hello, he says his feelings are "those of a devoted son"--he's probably not even thinking about romance or whatever. Plus, Wendy in the film? Not so pretty. Just not--but that's just me, so whatever). AND I may or my not be counting down the days until "Pan" is released--and saving moola to a) go see it in theatres multiple times; and b) buy the DVD upon release. Because THIS:


Here's my question: this show gets done over and over and revived and revamped and re-everything-else-ed because it's a legit classic(see 2, above).

Who wouldn't want to be the Boy Who Never Grew Up?

No comments:

Post a Comment